Friday 26 April 2013

Pisa and Florence Day 1

Did a two stage trip from La Spezia to Pisa to Florence.

Pisa was of course full of tourists, but it was worth a walk across town from the station.  Did the cheesy 'holding up the tower' photo, (my gymnastic balancing skills aren't what they used to be! Quite tricky balancing on that pole!) wandered into the cathedral, then headed back to the train station.

Florence is one big city of amazing buildings / architecture. We wandered to the cathedral square and through the main cathedral, tried to visit Uffizi Museum but discovered it shut on Mondays!  Carried on to  Ponte Vecchio. This was a special moment for me as my Dad was in the same spot about 70 years ago and he told us how he bought 2 beautiful mosaic brooches, one for his mother and one for his fiancee, which my sister and I now have. The mosaic brooches on display today are still the same style and designs as ours.
I decided that I wanted to climb up the dome of the Cathedral - 463 steps - Dave chose not to join me. Amazing views over the city as a reward. Pretty hard yakka climbing up.
On the way home also discovered Accademia Museum (Statue of David) closed....

No comments:

Post a Comment